We work in Western Sydney, especially communities of the South-West such as Fairfield, Bankstown, Liverpool, Holroyd, and Auburn.
At a glance the points below give a bit of the picture of the context for our work:
- Greater Western Sydney is home to around 2 million people and growing rapidly.
- Home to the largest urban population of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia.
- The area has the most culturally diverse makeup in NSW.
- NSW refugee settlement is concentrated in Western Sydney.
- There are high areas of social disadvantage – significantly higher than the rest of Sydney and NSW.
- Unemployment, particularly for young people is higher than the rest of Sydney.
- Key issues include affordable housing, education and domestic violence.
- The proportion of people that report a need for help with core activities due to a disability is higher than the average across metropolitan Sydney.