carer support group

So you received your NDIS plan? That’s great!

But your head is spinning with more questions than answers? You are not alone.



We’ve heard many of your questions about the NDIS — whether on the phone, at face-to-face meetings, at Woodville’s carer support group meetings and at our information nights — now we want to share answers to the most frequently asked questions.



  1. Will my NDIS plan affect my carer allowance from Centrelink?

No it won’t. Centrelink and NDIS are completely separate to each other. The only way the NDIS will impact on your Centrelink payment is with your mobility allowance. NDIS have their own transport allowance which replaces the mobility allowance from Centrelink.


  1. I’m not happy with my NDIS plan, what do I need to do to get a ‘review’?

Plan reviews do not guarantee a higher amount of funding. Some Woodville client families have experienced this. The review process is not easy.

Detailed documentation is required from doctors, health professionals, service providers etc, in order to back up a review claim.

Woodville is advocating on behalf of our families where needed.


  1. I don’t have a MyGov account set up.

Don’t stress! Either the NDIS will contact you or you can contact the NDIS.

You can send the NDIS your bank details and they will make payment arrangements.


  1. Why has my mobility allowance stopped?

When you have a meeting with your LAC, you need to let them know that you are receiving mobility allowance from Centrelink so they can request for transport allowance under NDIS once the plan is activated. All you need to do is set up your myGov account and linked to NDIS participant portal and put your (or your child’s) bank details on the portal in order to receive transport allowance.


  1. I need an interpreter, is this funded?

When meeting with your Support Coordinator, the service provider should supply an interpreter at their expense where possible. But for other general meeting such as medical appointments, or therapies… you should have the key word- CONSUMABLES- under core support funding. What that mean is that you can have NDIS funding allocated to pay for translating and interpreting.

If you have funding in ‘Consumables’, you can use it for interpreting services.

  1. I don’t have funding for Support Coordination, or Plan Management and I don’t know what to do.

Your LAC should assist you with connecting you to the service and supports. Where it is not possible, you need to request an internal review, and outline to the NDIS planner why you need the hours of support coordination and plan management.  Be aware this is getting difficult now for NDIS to approve funding for both as they have changed their policy on who is eligible for it.  We can assist your with review.


  1. Where can I find Support Coordination?

As you may or may not know, you can contact us for Support Coordination services on 9722 5200.

Innovate Plus is part of Woodville Alliance Disability Services, an approved NDIS provider (provider number 4050003012)

Click here for more information about Innovate Plus or call us on 9722 5200.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply